Posted: 10:51 am Thursday, September 1st, 2016
By Staff Writer
This week’s Skinny Dawg recipe comes to us from the Eat What You Love Everyday cookbook by Marlene Koch and is so simple and fast that you’ll want to have it every week! Did I mention that it’s also delicious, filling, and has minimal cleanup? If you’re a meat and potato lover, this one is right up your ally, and it only has 315 calories per serving!
- 6 oz lean ground beef
- 6 oz lean ground pork
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 2 medium baking potatoes, about 12 oz each
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- In a medium bowl, with a spoon or by hand, combine the first 10 ingredients with ¼ teaspoon of the garlic salt, until just uniformly mixed. Set aside
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Slice a small piece from the bottom of each half so the halves sit flat. Then with a teaspoon or melon baller, scoop out about 3 tablespoons of the raw potato flesh (to make a boat-like cavity). Sprinkle the potatoes lightly with remaining ¼ teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Evenly spoon the meat into potatoes, pressing it lightly into the space and creating a smooth mound. Brush or spread 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce on top to cover all of the meat. Place the potatoes on a large, microwave-safe plate, and cook on high for 10 minutes, or until a thermometer registers 155 degrees.
Heather Taylor is the Digital Brand Manager for Cox Media Group Athens and is an on-air personality for Magic 102.1. Each Skinny Dawg recipe is prepared, reviewed, and photographed by Heather prior to sharing with the Magic 102.1 audience.
Do you have any “skinny” recipes that you love? Send them to Heather.Taylor2@coxinc.com and they could be a featured Skinny Dawg recipe!