Posted: 12:02 pm Wednesday, January 25th, 2017
This week’s Skinny Dawg recipe for Beef Fried Rice is a take on a classic- fried rice. It’s also a meal that will leave your friends and family in disbelief that it’s low in calories. This meal is quick to get on the table, and as an added bonus, packs a punch of protein to keep you feeling satisfied longer.
TOTAL TIME: 30 Min SERVINGS: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1 and 1/3 Cup CALORIES PER SERVING: 290
- 1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 frozen peas
- 8 medium green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, brush 12-inch nonstick skillet with olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add beaten egg to skillet; cook 1 minute or until firm but still moist. Remove from skillet; cut into thin strips. Cover to keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook beef, mushrooms and celery over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked.
- In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper sauce; stir into beef mixture. Add peas, cooked egg and cooked rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until hot. Top with green onions.
Heather Taylor is the Digital Brand Manager for Cox Media Group Athens and is an on-air personality for Magic 102.1. Each Skinny Dawg recipe is prepared, reviewed, and photographed by Heather prior to sharing with the Magic 102.1 audience.
Do you have any “skinny” recipes that you love? Send them to Heather.Taylor2@coxinc.com and they could be a featured Skinny Dawg recipe!