Posted: 3:23 pm Sunday, April 23rd, 2017
By Abby Jessen
Looking for a little flavor in your weeknight recipes? This week’s Skinny Dawg meal is full of peppers, onions, and other vegetables that are sure to brighten up your mid-week meal. The sauce in this pasta dish compliments the vegetable flavors and seasonings, while remaining light and not overbearing.
Chicken and Veggie Pasta will leave you feeling full, with almost 30 grams of protein and over 6 grams of fiber, guilt-free as it only has 324 calories per serving.
Cook/Prep Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 5 (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 pound chicken breast strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp light cream cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt to taste
* Slice all of the vegetables.
* Combine milk, flour, and cream cheese in a blender and blend until creamy, set aside.
* Season chicken with garlic powder and salt
* Cook pasta according to instructions on package
* Spray large skillet with cooking spray to coat
* Saute chicken in skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink in center (6-10 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside. Add additional cooking spray to skillet
* Saute bell peppers, onions, and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and saute an additional 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
* Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and stir in blender mixture.
* Add chicken to skillet and add salt to taste. Cook until hot and add pasta, tossing to coat.
Calories: 323.8 Carbs: 44.1g Fat: 6.2g Protein: 25.9g Fiber: 6.3g
Heather Taylor is the Digital Brand Manager for Cox Media Group Athens and is an on-air personality for Magic 102.1. Each Skinny Dawg recipe is prepared, reviewed, and photographed by Heather prior to sharing with the Magic 102.1 audience.
Do you have any “skinny” recipes that you love? Send them to Heather.Taylor2@coxinc.com and they could be a featured Skinny Dawg recipe!