Posted: 7:57 am Tuesday, May 30th, 2017
By Abby Jessen
This week’s Skinny Dawg recipe is a favorite in the Taylor household. The Chicken Tamale Bake combines all things that are good in a weekday recipe. It’s quick, extremely easy, inexpensive to make, and has the “comfort food” feel that leaves you in disbelief of the calorie count. I have come up with a few “cheats” when making this meal that shave a few more minutes off of the prep time and a few more pennies off of the cost of the ingredients. For starters, I use canned, shredded chicken. A lot of people might stray away from the canned chicken, but in this meal, it is perfect because it is cost effective, precooked, and two of the larger cans is the perfect amount of chicken. Also, for the enchilada sauce, I prefer the mild green sauce instead of the traditional red sauce.
This is a recipe that you can adapt to your taste buds. For those that don’t like spicy meals, leave out the cayenne pepper and chilies. If you want to be sure to get your daily dose of vegetables, add onions, mushrooms, or peppers. You can’t go wrong with this dish!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/8 t ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.75 oz) can of cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5 oz) box of corn muffin mix
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
* In a large bowl, mix together ¼ cup of the Mexican cheese, the milk, egg, cumin, pepper, corn, muffin mix and green chiles in a bowl until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until the layer is set (an inserted toothpick should come out clean).
* Using a fork, liberally poke holes all over the surface of the corn cake layer. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top and spread across the surface of the corn cake. Sprinkle the shredded chicken evenly across the top and follow with the remaining ¾ cup shredded cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting into servings.
Carbs: 29 g
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 17 g
Fiber: 1 g
Recipe Source: Emily Bites
Heather Taylor is the Digital Brand Manager for Cox Media Group Athens and is an on-air personality for Magic 102.1. Each Skinny Dawg recipe is prepared, reviewed, and photographed by Heather prior to sharing with the Magic 102.1 audience.
Do you have any “skinny” recipes that you love? Send them to Heather.Taylor2@coxinc.com and they could be a featured Skinny Dawg recipe!